Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I am not a criminal - or am I?

I was reading a great article by Greg Bean in the Examiner and was shocked (as were many of his readers) to find that I just MIGHT be a criminal and acting illegally every day. No, I am not carrying a concealed handgun without a permit, nor am I robbing banks or stealing Tootsie Rolls from my local Krausers.

You see, I carry knives. Pocket knives of the folding variety to be exact. I keep one in my car as well. These are generally high quality knives made by Kershaw, Buck and Spyderco. These are tools. I can open boxes with them, pry stuck items loose with them, trim hanging threads with them, and thousands of other non-weapon like activities.

All of my knives have blades under 5 inches in length and fit neatly in my pocket. When carrying them, I never have an urge to stab someone with them, ever. I do not secretly hope that someone will accost me so I can 'whip out my knife' and defend myself. They are just tools.

I am going to do some more research and see if I can put together a comprehensive list of state and local laws pertaining to New Jersey knife laws. I will post my results here. If any of you have links or information, please feel freJe to contact me or post here.

2 comments:

  1. Did you mean "New jersey knife laws" in the last paragraph?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did mikeb30200. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete